Monday, October 30, 2006

Track Tagging: The Truth

This morning I was listening to a stream of music tagged 'heavy metal' by last.fm users when suddenly my ears were assaulted with the most obnoxious noise I'd ever heard. No, it wasn't random black noise from a corrupt stream or an especially violent death metal song. It was the awful singing of that superstar hack, Britney Spears. This disturbed me for three reasons: I hate Britney Spears, I hate pop, and I was only listening to tracks tagged metal.

It was obviously stupid to assume that people who subscribe to a music oriented service would be competent enough to know the difference between pop and metal. I mean there are quite a few similarities. For instance, both a pop section and a metal section are commonly found at record stores. Both genres can also be digitized in a variety of formats and then reproduced using a set of speakers. It's gotta be things like this that confuse people because there's no other way to confuse Britney Spears with Metallica or Rammstein.

The case could also be that whoever tagged the accused song inappropriately was just being an asshole. Which makes me wonder: just how much content on the Internet is tagged improperly? And why isn't there a better way of categorizing content yet? The answer to that is obvious. Deep down we all like to fuck with each other. Even web developers know this. Why do you think myspace was created?

Article by Rich Moore

No comments: